Being a Windows user, you might be aware of Blue Screen of Death issues. Not just, blue screen of death issues, few users have experienced White screen of the death (WSOD) too. Have you experienced such an error too and looking out for ways to fix White Screen of Death issue? If yes, you came to the right place. Continue reading the article.
What is White Screen of Death – WSOD?
In Blue Screen of Death, you get to see the messages that display on your screen, but in the case of WSOD your screen is completely white and nothing is visible. And we are sure you must be thinking about resetting your system. But, you should wait, in this article, we are discussing some solutions that will help you to fix White Screen of Death without choosing the factory reset method.
How to Fix White Screen of Death Issue in Windows 10
Find out the solutions to resolve the WSOD issue in Windows 10. Try any approach from this article and go to another if it doesn’t work.
1. Uninstall Any Recent System Updates
Recent system updates can be a reason for the white screen of death error. Check the steps below on how to uninstall any recent Windows updates:
- Type Control Panel in the Task Bar Menu search bar. Click on Control Panel from the search results.
- Once Control Panel will display all its items. Select Programs and Features.
- On the left pane, click on View Installed Updates. It will refresh the page and show you all the recent system updates on the date it was installed.
- You will now see the recent updates. We will suggest you either uninstall the first update or the update before you have encountered a white screen of death error. Once you are ready, click on Uninstall button after selecting the update.
- A confirmation screen will pop up. Click on Yes to confirm.
Once the system update is uninstalled, restart your system and check if the error is gone. If not, follow the below soultion to resolve white screen of death issue in Windows 10.
2. Errors on the Hard Drive and System Errors Should be Repaired
Due to hard drive and OS data breaches, the White Screen of Death error code can be triggered
You need not worry about it if you don’t have any prior experience with CMD. There is no need to install any particular software or don’t have to control the programs. Follow the steps given below to fix disc issues with CHDKSK.
- Type Command Prompt in Task Bar Menu search bar. Right-click on Command Prompt from the list of results and choose Run as Administrator.
- If Windows is installed on the C: partition, type chkdsk c: /f and press Enter. Otherwise, choose where OS is installed.
- Type Y and press Enter when CHKDSK asks you to schedule the checkup for the next system boot.
- Reboot your computer and allow time for CHKDSK to do its work.
If the White Screen of Death persists after running CHKDSK, you should use SFC to repair faulty executables. To execute the SFC command, open the Command Prompt as suggested above, and instead of chkdsk command, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
This will hopefully fix the White Screen of Death error in Windows 10.
3. More Disc Space Can be Added or Files Can Be Removed
Inadequate disc space on the installation media where your operating system is installed may cause WSOD. When there isn’t enough disc space available, Windows won’t be able to execute its important functions, make updates, or conduct other important activities.
How to Add More Disc Space Using Disk Management Tool
To add more disc space in Windows, we will be using Disk Management tool. Check out the steps on how to use the disk management tool in Windows 10:
- Type Run in the Task Bar Menu search bar. Open Run from the list of results.
- Type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- Disk Management window will open, choose the partition where you have Windows 10 installed. Right-click on it and choose to Shrink Volume from the drop-down menu.
- It will take some time to check the volume size. Keep a large chuck of volume size. Click on Shrik and proceed with the on-screen instructions.
Another method to free up disk space is to clean junk files or temporary files that your system won’t be needing anymore. We would suggest you use Disk Cleanup to do so.
How to Remove Files using Disk Cleanup
Let’s check the steps below on how to remove junk files using Disk Cleanup to free up some space.
- Use the Administrator Account to log into Windows 10. Ensure there are no files you want to save or recover is in the Downloading and Recycle Bin folders.
- Click Win + R to open the Run dialogue box, then type Control Center and hit Enter.
- Click on the Administrative Tools section.
- Once the window is open, click on the Disk Cleanup tool from the right pane.
- Click on OK after selecting the C: drive or the location where Windows is installed.
- It will take some to calculate. Tick mark all the boxes and click on Clean up System Files.
- Choose everything again after the file scan and press OK.
Once the process is complete, restart your computer. Inspect for white screen of death error. Hope it is gone for good.
4. Upgrade your BIOS to the Latest Edition
Whenever your BIOS is out of date, it could affect the performance of your computer. Such issues, if left untreated, might result in white screen and blue screen errors. The simplest solution is to update your BIOS to the most recent version.
Check the steps below on how to upgrade your BIOS to the latest edition:
- Open Run and type msinfo32 to open System Information.
- From the left pane, choose System Summary. You will see BIOS Version/Date on the right pane. Do check BaseBoard Manufacturer in the System Summary box.
- Look for a newer BIOS version from the official website. Download the BIOS archive to a portable storage device and decompress the files.
- To access BIOS, restart your computer and press the key indicated on the screen.
- Make a USB drive backup of the present BIOS version.
- Carry on with the BIOS update and follow the on-screen instructions.
- The update may take some time. Make sure your computer isn’t turned off or restarted during this period.
Look for white screen errors when Windows starts up. Hopefully, the above solution will help you to resolve White Screen of Death issue in Windows 10.
5. Clean Boot Windows 10
You can perform a clean boot in Windows 10 if the white screen was triggered by a faulty driver, program, or application. It creates a secure atmosphere by turning off all features that are not needed.
To check how to clean boot in Windows 10, follow the below steps:
- Find System Configuration from the Task Bar Search menu bar.
- Navigate to the Services section. Disable All services after unchecking Hide all Microsoft services.
- Now, you need to click on Startup tab and open Task Manager.
- Seeing Enabled status on services. Right-click on those and disable all these services.
Restart your PC so that the changes take effect. See if the White Screen of Death issue is resolved or not. If not, proceed to the other method.
6. Disconnect all of your Hardware Devices
Because one of the most likely reasons for the White Screen of Death issue is a hardware malfunction, it is important for you to examine your computer equipment and look for malfunctioning components. This can be challenging, particularly if you have a lot of external devices connected to your computer.
- When you began seeing the white screen issue after connecting a new device to your computers, such as a Wi-Fi adapter, a digicam, an external drive, or a USB pen drive, that might be the culprit.
- Except for your mouse and keyboard, turn off your computer and unplug any peripheral devices. Then power on your computer to make sure you’re not getting the White Screen of Death anymore.
- Now, you can begin re-connecting your hardware devices one by one as you see a white screen once more. It should indicate that the last device that is connected isn’t working properly and needs fixing.
7. Re-install the Graphics Driver
Because white screen issues are frequently linked to presentation issues, you must examine the GPU driver to see whether it’s mismatched, obsolete, or simply not operating properly. You should re-install your graphics driver in this case and see if the problem is resolved.
Follow the steps to check how to re-install graphics driver in Windows 10:
- Right-click on Start button. Open Device Manager from the menu.
- Click on Display Adapters service. Choose Uninstall from the context menu of your primary graphics driver. Remove all linked devices if you have multiple GPU drivers.
- The computer should be restarted. The components will be reinstalled immediately by Windows.
Once a system restarts, go to Device Manager once again. And this time choose Update rather than uninstall. This will update your graphics driver.
If the visual adapter was not working properly, this procedure should help you fix the white screen of death problem.
8. Update your System
It’s vital to maintain your operating system up to date to benefit from the most recent features, upgrades, hotfixes, and security updates. Most of the time, small problems can be fixed by updating the Windows OS. To know how to update your Windows 10 system, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Windows Icon on the extreme left-hand corner. Choose Settings from here.
- Once the Settings menu is opened, click on Update & Security.
- Choose Windows Update from the left-pane followed by Download button on the right-pane. It will flash only if there are system updates available.
- The upgrades could take a long time to download and install. Make sure your computer isn’t turned off or restarted during this period.
- When Windows prompts you to reboot your computer, do so.
Hopefully, you won’t see the white screen of death once your system restarts. If not, we still have a few solutions left on how to fix White Screen of Death issue in Windows 10.
9. Examine the System Memory
If somehow the White Screen of Death error still persists, you must inspect and repair your RAM card. You don’t need to download any third-party software to do as Windows has an excellent built-in tool that is called Windows Memory Diagnostic tool.
Check the below steps on how to use the Memory Diagnostic tool on Windows 10:
- Find Windows Memory Diagnostic in the Task Bar Search menu bar. Press Enter to start the tool.
- Check for issues by clicking Restart Now and check for problems (Recommended). To run Windows Memory Diagnostic, restart your computer.
- Windows will check for and correct any RAM problems during the restart process.
Once the system restarts, see whether this worked and fix the White screen of death in Windows 10.
10. Restore BIOS Parameters to Factory Settings
Several system settings, such as overclocking and cache, can be controlled through the BIOS. Check how to reset BIOS to factory Settings by following the steps below.
- To enter BIOS mode, restart the computer and press the key indicated on the screen.
- Locate the Advanced Settings area.
- Turn on the option to restore default configuration data.
- Exit after saving the current settings.
Check for white screen difficulties when Windows starts up. Let’s hope it is resolved now.
11. Remove any Questionable Apps
If your computer begins to experience white screen errors after installing new software, it is advisable to check whether the error is because of the new program installed. Even better you should uninstall the program from your system.
To check how to ow to remove recently installed programs:
- Find Apps and Features on Task Bar Search menu bar. Open it once you find it in search results.
- Choose Apps & Features from the left pane. Click on Sort by the option on the right side followed by Install Date from the menu.
- Select the program in the list, click Uninstall, and follow the on-screen instructions.
Reboot your pc to see if the white screen problem persists. If not, you have successfully solved the White Screen of Death error in Windows 10.
12. Scan your Computer for Malware
Critical system files could have been damaged if your machine was extensively infected with malware, resulting in hardware failure and White Screen of Death issues. You can use in-built Windows Defender to scan for malware. Follow the steps to do so:
- Type Windows Security on Task Bar Menu search bar. Press Enter to open the app.
- Choose Virus and Threat Protection.
- Click on Scan Options from right-side settings.
- Check the Quick Scan option followed by Scan Now.
- If it doesn’t uncover anything unusual, use the Windows Defender Offline scan option to run another scan.
After the scan is complete, make sure to restart your computer.
13. System Restore Option May be a Good Solution
An alternate solution will restore Windows 10 to a previous secure version set before your PC experienced the White Screen of Death. Check the steps below on how to restore your system to a particular point:
- Log in to Windows 10 as an administrator. Open Control Panel and choose Recovery from the options.
- Select Open System Restore to proceed further.
- Click Next once you select the checkpoint.
Restart your computer after following the on-screen instructions. Once the System Restore is complete, you will see that the White Screen of Death is gone for good.
These are the solutions that we have for you if you ever face White Screen of Death in Windows 10. These methods will ensure that you will be able to fix the White Screen of Death issue in Windows 10 without scratching your head.
White Screen of Death is not that rare. It is mainly due to hardware and operating system malware. It may also be due to software issues. You can go for the above-given solutions to fix the issue.
If the problem still persists after applying these methods, the last resort is to reset your system and make a clean Windows 10 installation.
I hope you liked our article and if you face problem on how to fix White Screen of Death error in Windows 10, please let us know in the comments section below.