Maybe you’ve tried setting sprays and are trying for a look that’s more matte. Setting powders are the perfect way to lock in your look for the day while keeping your skin looking matte and powder fresh instead of dewy and glowing. Everybody has their own makeup preferences, and if your preference is a matte finish, setting powders are the product for you. Some setting powders can even be used alongside setting sprays. I personally use both products- setting powder for highlight, concealers, and contour and setting spray to finalize all products at the end. No matter how you wish to use them, setting powders are a surefire way to lock in your look without worrying about looking too dewy or runny..
We’ve looked through product websites, video tutorials, and customer reviews to find the best three setting sprays of the year. Doing research into the wearability, ingredients, and benefits of the most popular setting powders has lead us to make a final decision. Here are the three best setting powders in 2020:
Best Setting Powder Center
Use the information provided on our top three picks to decide which setting powder you need to rock your world next. Enjoy!
1. Dermablend Loose Setting Powder
This translucent powder aids in mattifying and setting your face makeup to ensure it lasts all day. It keeps makeup in place for up to 16 hours and meets all dermatologist standards. Dermablend is a brand trusted by most dermatologists and skincare specialists due to its reputation of having sensitive skin safe products and being free of toxins. This product is perfect for controlling shine and the appearance of pores.
- One ounce
- Shade range of three
- Mattifies oily skin
- Long lasting finish
- Matte alternative to setting spray
- Works with many skin tones
2. Mario Badescu Special Healing Powder
This multi-purpose powder helps keep your skin healthy and oil-free. The natural minerals in the formula help restore and replenish your skin throughout the day. This powder is suitable for all skin types and can also be used in the chest and back areas safely.
- Gets rid of shine and oil
- Reduces acne
- Reduces facial inflammation
- Keeps makeup in place
- Calms rosacea
3. Dermablend Illuminating Banana Powder
This taupe tinted powder is filled with antioxidants that keep the skin glowing and nurtured all day. This translucent product prevents makeup from smudging or wearing off throughout the day and is weightless to the feel. It is safe for allergy-ridden skin and sensitive skin types alike. This product’s formula is also completely vegan.
- 0.63 ounces loose powder
- Works with or without makeup
- Brightens up dark circles
- Stays thin on the skin
- Great coverage
- No flashback
- Keeps oily skin matte
Now that you’ve seen the three best setting powders, it’s time to decide which qualities are the most important to you in a product. As you browse these qualities shared by all great setting powders, think about what ones you need in your next product so you make the best decision for you and your skin when shopping.
What makes a setting powder outstanding?
- Coverage- There are so many levels of coverage you could be looking for. Most people prefer full coverage because it ensures your makeup will stay where you apply it and cover any imperfections. Finding a setting powder that is full coverage is key in concealing and smoothing over any blemishes.
- Wear time- How long do you want your look to last? Maybe your days are 13 hours long, or maybe they’re done by lunchtime. Wear time regards how long a product will stay on your skin before breaking down, running off, or smearing. Finding a setting powder that keeps your makeup locked is key, and honestly, it is one of the main functions setting powders to serve. All three of these products have 12+ hours of wear time, so rest assured you can stay restless and flawless all at once.
- Finish- Do you prefer a matte finish or a silky finish? Most setting powders offer matte finishes and help users reduce the appearance and existence of oil on their face. If you want a gleamier look, there are still setting powders here for you. Be sure to check on the finish of your preferred powder above before buying if you want shinier wear. Many setting powders can be applied in lighter layers to avoid matte feels if that is your preference.
Formula- If you care about keeping your skin and the environment safe, be sure to check out the formulas in these three products. All of them offer simple formulas free of the “icky stuff” like parabens and fragrances. Some of the products here are also certified cruelty free and vegan, so if that is important to you, be sure to check the specifications lists in this article.
Setting Powder FAQs
Why are some setting powders tinted?
Some setting powders are specifically tinted to fit a certain skin tone or complexion range. Tinted setting powders will typically advertise which shade ranges they are most compatible with.
Are most setting powders sticky?
No. Most setting powders feel like any other powder form of makeup, like pressed pigments, blush, or even eyeshadow. Some setting powders that are specifically formulated for blemish control and concealing may be thicker to the touch, but they should never really be sticky.
Can you usually see setting powders clearly on top of your makeup?
You really shouldn’t be able to. Many setting powder formulas are designed translucent so you never have to worry about that being a problem. If a powder is not translucent, it will most likely be formulated to avoid caking and buildup.
Why do setting powders vary in price so much?
Setting powders can range in price depending on what they are made to be used for. Most regular setting powders stay within the same range, while medicated formulas or concealing powders may have their own price ranges.