How Do I Stop Mail From Going To My Old Address?

 October 11, 2020

By  Vada Shelby

Change of address is a type of request that you make to the United States Postal Service. It helps to reroute your mail at the specified address. It can be both temporary and permanent. You can request any of these options online. You can also fill an offline form available at the post office.

In this article, we will tell you how to stop mail from going to your old address.

How to Change Your Address at the Post Office?

  • Visit your nearest local post office.
  • Request a free mover’s guide packet.
  • Fill the PS Form 3575 present inside the given package.

The USPS can also forward your mail to a new address and hold it at the post office. If you have moved temporarily to a new address, then USPS can deliver your mail to the new address for 15 days to one year. You can also ask your local post office to change the address temporarily.

You can also take help from the USPS officials if you face any difficulty while applying for this service. All you have to do is to call on their helpline number. You can also send an email to the USPS regarding your problem.

SEE: Claim USPS Lost Package

The United States Postal Service also provides you the feature to hold the package. After the USPS officials’ confirmation of the package, they will send you an email regarding the proof. After this, you will have to collect the parcel personally. The officials will not deliver this package to the address provided.

How to Stop Mail From Going to the Old Address Temporarily?

If you want to apply for this service offline, you will have to visit the nearest post office. The officials at the post office will ask you to fill the ‘Hold My Mail’ form. Submit this form to the official after filling it.

  • Visit the official website of USPS.
  • Register for this service 30 days before your vacation plan.
  • Go to the USPS Hold Mail Request.
  • It is present under managing your mail tab.
  • Fill all the required details.
  • Check the availability in the US postal service hold mail form.
  • Submit the details.
  • Save the confirmation details.

How to Stop Mail From Going to the Old Address Permanently?

The procedure for change of address confirmation is as follows:

  • After you have made a change of address request, the USPS will promptly mail to the address at which you are leaving.
  • You will also receive a customer notification letter at your new address.
  • You will also receive a welcome kit at your new address.
  • It will contain the confirmation code.
  • You can make changes to the change of address order through this code.
  • Without this code, you will have to visit the post office.
  • If you have applied for a change of address through online procedure, you will also receive a customer notification letter.
  • You will also get an email that will contain the confirmation code.

USPS will now stop delivering to your previous address.


Vada Shelby


  1. I think its ridiculous i have to pay to change my address. I dont have a bank or crefit card.. Thanks soooo much for being helpful

  2. Hi. I need to stop my mail from going to my old address 125 Perry Bend Cir. Apt #108 Easley S.C. 29640. The address I will be using until my new house is ready is 113 Baldwin Pl. Easley, S.C. 29642. I have filled out an address change @ the USPS on Monday 03/01/2021 but i failed to ask them about stopping my mail for my previous address. can you please help me with this?? Thank you in advance for all of your help!!

    Lisa P. Kueper

  3. War do I need to do to get yall hold my mail from my old address. My old address is 1415 S Jim St Duncan OK 73533 n my new address is 512 W Kiowa Ave #1133 Rush Spring Ok 73082. I’m wait on my sim check

  4. I change my address to 37 Auriga Ln Sewell NJ 08080 My old address is 2642 W Harold St phila pa 19132 my name is Stanley Jackson

  5. My old address 402Broadway street apt 61
    San francisco ca 94133
    My new address
    172 6th street apt 605
    San francisco ca 94103

Comments are closed.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}