Have you been looking for the perfect glow? Are you wanting an extra shine in your daily look? The highlighters in this article have been tried and tested with many satisfied users. Each one has its unique formula and finish, so there is a guaranteed match for anybody within this list. Here are our top three highlighters of 2020.
We found these three products to be the best highlighters of the year through product reviews, video tutorials, and comparing the formulas and finishes to other products at the top of the beauty industry currently. We are certain you will find one of these highlighters to be your next favorite item of the year.
Best Highlighter Center
All three of these products are at the top of the game, but after reading more details about each one you are sure to find your dream product.
1. theBalm Manizer
This highlighter makes the skin appear more youthful and soft to the touch by diffusing light across its applied areas in an even and welcoming glow. It will catch people’s eyes without being too flashy for a perfectly subtle but shiny everyday look. This product is suitable to be used every day in casual looks or it can be layered on top of itself for the ultimate shine.
- 0.32 ounce compact
- Shade range of three
- Shades for each skin tone
- Sheer finish
- Buildable formula
- A little goes a long way
- Can be used as eyeshadow
- Works with fair and sensitive skin
2. Laura Geller New York Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator
This moldable powder highlighter comes in a compact as a dry powder but is able to be moved around and smoothed out like a cream. You can smooth it in the compact it comes in before applying or spread it across your cheekbones and smooth it out as you go. Regardless of the finish you want to get with this product, it has a final form for your needs.
- 0.16 ounce compact
- shade range of five
- Little goes a long way
- Very pigmented
- Light and fluffy to the touch
- Works for many skin tones
3. Pretty Vulgar Shimmering Swan Highlighter
This product has a shiny and reflective finish that will leave you glowing throughout the day. It’s elegant packaging and flawless formula will leave you speechless each time you apply it. This is a clean beauty product, meaning there are only skin-safe ingredients and zero harsh chemicals in the formula. This product also comes from a cruelty-free brand.
- 0.2 ounces
- Shade range of four
- A little goes a long way
- Cruelty-free branding
- Easy to apply
- Works with all skin tones
- Long-lasting effect
So, what are some things you should be considering when selecting one of these highlights? What qualities are most important to you, and which product showcases them in your favorite way? Below is a list of qualities all of these products all exhibit- hopefully, this helps you make the best choice for you and your skin.
What makes a highlighter outstanding?
- Finish-. Highlighters advertise many different types of finishes. When searching for your favorite product, be sure to check for the identified finish. Most highlighters have reflective finishes, but it is also possible to find matte finishes or even dewey, wet appearing finishes.
- Bake- Similar to finish, the amount a product appears baked can be a deal-sealing factor for some. Highlighters are one of the only makeup products in the industry right now that can leave your face with a baked finish without requiring you to actually go through the process of baking.
- Pigmentation- Some people prefer their products to have light pigmentation for a softer appearance. If you are looking for a show-stopping, blinding light of a product, look for the products with the highest pigmentation. Pigmentation put simply, is how much the color of the product actually shows through and stays once it’s applied to the skin. You can check product reviews for levels of pigmentation, or if you are in a store when shopping for these products, a quick swatch will show you the levels. Be sure to only swatch products that are laid out as testers when shopping in stores, though!
- Color- Highlighters can be used for so many different things. The most common use is on the face in areas like the high cheekbones, low eyebrows, and creases of the nose. If you are planning to use your new favorite highlighter for other reasons, be sure to check the color. Highlighters can be used for eyeshadows, bronzers (if dark enough for your preferred look), and even setting powders if the pigmentation is low enough. When shopping for a highlighter with a specific function in mind, pay close attention to the color and consider how it will look, regardless of pigmentation, on the areas you plan to apply it.
Shade range- When purchasing multiple highlighters in a single makeup look, finding a product with a wide shade range can simplify your searching. If you’ve found the highlighter of your dreams and want to start playing with using a highlighter in new areas and ways, try buying the same trusted product in a different shade to fit your new needs. This way, you will already know what the final finish, pigmentation, and feel will be.
What is the best way to apply highlighter?
The most commonly practiced way of applying highlighter is with an angled brush. You can find angled brushes in most, if not all, places that carry beauty products.
What is the difference between liquid and powder highlighters?
Powder highlighters tend to give more matte finishes while liquid highlighters leave a more dewy finish. Both types of highlighters can be equally pigmented, though. It simply all comes down to personal preference.
What kind of looks can highlighters create?
Highlighters can really create any look you want them to! You can bronze yourself out with a lightly pigmented dark highlighter or you can add light bursts of gleam by using a high pigmented brightening highlighter.
Is it “normal” to wear a highlighter every day?
Normal is defined by each user. If you find a highlighter you love, wear it as often as you like! One of the amazing things about highlighters is how versatile they are- if you don’t want the same look day after day, you can still use the same highlighter in different ways day after day.
What is the best way to remove highlighter?
Highlighters can be removed using micellar cleansing water or coconut oil.