Whether you like a winged look or a simple outline of your lash line, having a reliable eyeliner is a staple in most people’s beauty collections. Eyeliners can come in many different colors and formulas. To most people, eyeliner is an amazing way to spice up or cool down a look. Winged eyeliner looks are perfect for parties and simple outlines are great for simple everyday looks.
After searching through product reviews, video tutorials, and comparing brand formulas, we have found the three best eyeliners in 2020 so far. These products are the best of the best in every category. After reading more about each eyeliner in detail, you are sure to find your favorite.
Best Eyeliner Center
Each eyeliner featured here has its own unique qualities. Whatever you are looking for in an eyeliner you are sure to find between one of these products.
1. stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
This liquid eyeliner starts thin and is buildable to make thick lines if chosen. The precise tip allows for an easy route to fine and sharp wings, while the thicker side of the product allows for even and smooth lines on the eyelids. Once you shake the product to mix the formula, it is good to go. This liquid eyeliner pen is complex enough for pros to love and simple enough for beginners to understand simultaneously.
- 0.016 fluid ounce
- 15 shades to choose from
- Easy to apply
- Felt tip marker application
- Works for achieving cat eye look
- Doesn’t run on oily skin or soak into dry skin
- Long lasting
2. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner
This liquid eyeliner comes in two types of packaging, the first being a pen and the second being a wand and pot. This eyeliner also has four colors to choose from so you can spice up your looks or cool them down with a classic cat-eye. With high quality, precise tip in both packaging options and waterproof formula, this liquid eyeliner is sure to keep your look in place all day long.
- 0.12 fluid ounce
- Shade range of four
- Smudge proof formula
- Long lasting
- Precise applicator
- Highly pigmented
3. Covergirl Perfect Point Plus Eyeliner
This eyeliner pencil has a selection of nine shades to choose from. The applicator has a no-sharpening-needed build and a soft smudger on the applicator to soften and smooth out the product after it is applied. This product also comes from a cruelty-free brand.
- .008 ounce
- Shade range of nine
- Easy to apply
- Easy to make fine lines
- Stays on all day
- Goes on smoothly
- Stays in place
Now that you’ve had the chance to look over our three favorite eyeliners, it’s time to pick your favorite. Regardless of what product you decide to add to your collection, you can rest assured it will meet all of these must-have eyeliner features and functions. Here is a list of the most important qualities in an eyeliner.
What makes an eyeliner outstanding?
- Wear time- Eyeliners need to last all day if they are going to make the cut because leaving home with two spot-on wings and coming back with one is possibly the most frustrating feeling ever. Finding an eyeliner that stays on and doesn’t budge is key to a successful eye makeup look, regardless of how you wear it.
- Smudge-proof- If there’s anything more frustrating than an eyeliner wing wearing off, it’s having your eyeliner smear across your face. Blinking throughout the day, in bad eyeliners, almost always leads to black creases on the eyelids and clumps of product in the tear ducts. Finding a reliable and durable eyeliner that doesn’t smudge or budge will save your day, every day.
- Finish- Eyeliners typically come in two finishes- matte or shiny. Eyeliner pencils, gels, and liquid eyeliners are all capable of achieving either finish. Once you know what look you’re going for and what finish will get you there, be sure to ensure that your favorite product from the list above meets your needs. Note: shiny looks are typically best for events and special occasions, while many people use matte finish products on a day to day basis.
- Formula- One of the main reasons people avoid eyeliner is because of the formula. If you have even a slight problem with watery eyes, a runny formula or drying formula could mean smears and rough patches around your eyes for days. Check for details about your favorite product that includes “sensitive skin” and “run free” to find a sensitive skin-friendly eyeliner.
Precision- Almost everybody who uses eyeliner wants it to be precise. All three of the products listed above have fine pointed tips allowing for the neatest and sharpest of lines to be drawn. With any one of these three eyeliners you are guaranteed sharp points and smooth lines that can be built up if you please.
What is the best way to apply eyeliner?
For basic eyeliner with no wings, simply select the width you are going for and gently stroke above your upper lash line, tracing the pores where your eyelashes meet your eyelid.
How do I make a cat-eye look?
To get a cat-eye look, start by making a diagonal line going towards the outside of your eyebrow from the outer edge of your eye. Once it has reached your preferred length, connect it to your eyelid with a 45-degree angle starting in the middle of the line. Once you have traced it back to your eyelid and it looks like a triangle with an extra tail, simply fill it in as desired.
What’s a good way to remove eyeliner?
Many people find micellar water or coconut oil to remove eye makeup perfectly. If neither of those is your cup of tea, try an oil-free eye makeup remover and a cotton pad. Remember, you still need to cleanse your face after removing makeup!